Khandavi (Gujarati Snack)
Contributed by Namrata Sanan
1 cup besan or gram flour
3 cups buttermilk or (1 cup yogurt + 2 cups water well blended)
green chilli paste
1/4 ts turmeric powder
salt to taste
1. Using a hand mixer, blend everything to a smooth texture . There should be no lumps of besan.
2. Add lots of ginger paste and vary green chilli paste according to your taste.
3. Take a 5 quart pan. Put it on medium high heat and add the contents of the mixer to it.
4. Stir it continuously with a wooden spatula so that it does not stick. It will start getting thicker after 5-7 minutes.
5. Test by putting a 1/4 spoonful of the mixture on a greased plate. spread the mixture and after a minute or so, try to roll it like a log. if it rolls on, it is ready.
6. On a plasic sheet (I use a wooden dining table which is sprayed with non stick) spray non stick liberally. Spread the mixture in all directions to make a very thin layer (work fast). After it is cool to the touch, and gives a dried look (couple of minutes) put horizontal cuts in the mixture with a knife. make sections.
7. Start rolling each section lika a log. Make equal sizes.
3 tbs oil
1 tbs mustard seeds
Make the tempering and put it on the cut pieces. Sprinkle some chopped cilantro and dried or fresh grated coconut.
Although you have to work fast with your hands or need somebody to do it with you, the end result is a delicious non fat snack.
[Recipes Page] [Food Page] [All India Home Page]