Pullinji (Spicy ginger chutney)
Contributed by Namrata Subrahmanya
50 g. ginger, chopped into very fine cubes
10 green chillies, chopped into fine roundels
a lemon sized ball of old tamarind
a lemon sized ball of jaggery soaked in a little water
1 tsp. chilli powder
1 tsp. mustard seeds
1 tsp. raw rice
1 tsp. sesame seeds
¾ tsp. fenugreek seeds
a few sprigs curry leaves
a pinch of asafoetida
a pinch of turmeric powder
salt to taste
½ tbsp. oil or ghee
1. Dry roast raw rice, sesame seeds and fenugreek seeds till crisp and powder them finely.
2. Extract thick tamarind pulp.
3. Boil tamarind pulp with jaggery, chilli powder, asafoetida, turmeric powder and salt till well cooked and the jaggery is well mixed.
4. Add the rice, sesame and the fenugreek powder. Mix well and boil till well mixed.
5. Heat ½ tbsp. oil or ghee in a kadai and season with mustard seeds.
6. When they splutter, add ginger, green chillies and curry leaves. Fry well till green chillies are cooked.
7. Remove from heat and add to the tamarind pulp.
[Recipes Page] [Food Page] [All India Home Page]